Loreen L. Giese
Shakespeare, Early Modern Drama
Office: Ellis 358
Office Phone: 593-2798
Ph.D., Emory University
M.A., Emory University
B.A., University of Oregon
Courtships, Marriage Customs, and Shakespeare’s Comedies. New York: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2006.
London Consistory Court Depositions, 1586-1611: List and Indexes. London: London Record Society, 1997 for 1995. Reviewed: Shakespeare Studies 27 (1999): 77-93.
- Chapters in Books (selected)
- “The Evidence against Joane Waters, the Deposition of George Ireland, London Consistory Court (1609/10).” Reading Early Modern Women: An Anthology of Texts in Manuscript and Print, 1550-1700. Ed. Helen Ostovich and Elizabeth Sauer. New York: Routledge, 2004. 32-34.
- “Images of Hamlet in the Undergraduate Classroom.” Teaching Shakespeare into the Twenty-First Century. Ed. Ronald E. Salomone and James E. Davis. Athens, Ohio: Ohio University Press, 1997. 172-76.
- “Teaching The Taming of the Shrew: Kate, Closure, and Eighteenth-Century Editions.” Teaching Shakespeare Today: Practical Approaches and Productive Strategies. Ed. James E. Davis and Ronald E. Salomone. Urbana, Illinois: NCTE, 1993. 270-80.
- “Malvolio’s Yellow Stockings: Coding Illicit Sexuality in Early Modern London.” Medieval and Renaissance Drama in England 19 (2006): 235-46.
- “Theatrical Citings and Bitings: Some References to Playhouses and Players in London Consistory Court Depositions, 1586-1611.” Early Theatre 1 (1998): 113-28.
- “An Anonymous Seventeenth-Century Bodleian Manuscript Dictionary: Its Authorship and Significance to Old English Studies.” Bodleian Library Record 14 (1992): 145-57.
- “An Emendation of the OED definition of Hie, v., 1.” Notes and Queries 232 (June 1987): 146 47.
ACADEMIC AWARDS AND HONORS (selected)
2009-10 University Professor Award, Ohio University
2004-07 Presidential Teacher Award, Ohio University
2004 Excellence in Education Award, Competitive Selection, State of Ohio
1998 Jeanette G. Graselli Teaching Award, Ohio University
1993-94 University Professor Award, Ohio University
1984 Phi Beta Kappa
GRANTS AWARDED (selected)
2010 International Visiting Research Fellowship in History,
Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, England (Fall Semester)
2009 Friends of the Institute for Historical Research, Institute of Historical Research, University of London, London, England
2009 Baker Research Grant, Ohio University
2007 Humanities Research Fund, Ohio University
2007 Faculty Development Committee Award, Ohio University
2006 Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Arts
2006 Humanities Research Fund, Ohio University
1998 National Endowment for the Humanities, Senior Scholar Summer
1995 Baker Research Grant, Ohio University
1995 Research Award, Office of Research and Graduate Studies, Ohio University
1993 Ohio University Research Committee Award
1992 Experimental Education Fund Grant, University College, Ohio University
1991 Provost Pool Grant, Provost, Ohio University
1990 Folger Institute Grant-in-Aid
English 301 Shakespeare's Histories
English 302 Shakespeare's Comedies
English 302 Shakespeare's Comedies, Online
English 303 Shakespeare's Tragedies
English 312 Early Modern English Literature
English 407N Renaissance Sex and Texts
English 460 Literary Topics
English 524/724 Shakespeare