Guidelines for Tutorial Rotations
In keeping with our goal to include as many faculty as possible as instructors in the English Tutorial Program, the following guidelines outline the procedure for tutorial rotations.
- Tutors will be selected from among the tenure-track (Group I) faculty in the department, except in circumstances where Group I faculty are unavailable or disinclined to participate, or in cases where a student’s specific project is better served by another qualified faculty member, at the discretion of the Director of Studies (DOS).
- The procedure for selecting new tutors is as follows:
- No later than the start of Spring Semester, the DOS will solicit the names of tenure-track (Group I) faculty who express a desire to teach in the program the following academic year.
- The DOS will match core curricular needs with the available faculty. In a case where two or more faculty members volunteer to teach a given tutorial, preference will be given to the tutor who has taught in the program the least recently. Tutors will be assigned no more than two students per term, except under extraordinary circumstances or where the curricular needs of the program cannot otherwise be met.
- All tutors will be required to attend a mandatory orientation meeting the semester before they teach a tutorial, at which the DOS will review departmental and college expectations for tutorials.