English @ OU

Secondary English Teaching

A student intending to teach English in secondary school can take a degree either in the College of Arts & Sciences or in the College of Education. The requirements for graduation from the college granting the degree will apply (i.e., foreign language and area requirements in the College of Arts & Sciences). In either case, students must satisfy the Professional Education requirements listed by the College of Education and take all the courses listed under the particular major in the College of Education. The state-required curriculum for the licensing/teaching certificate programs was revised in the fall of 1998. The new curriculum provides a License in English Language Arts (see bottom of the education page for a link to download the specific requirements for the Teacher Licensure Program) and include courses in speech and theater.